Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dear reader,

Money is such a fervent subject. But there is a thought I had on it that you might care to consider.

If you really want something, it does not matter how much money it costs, you will get it somehow!

This was brought home to me when I was finding out how much it would cost to get an MBA degree on-line.

I contacted ( or more accurately they contacted me after one click on an ad) 4 online universities.

Colorado Tech University. An MBA costs about $30,000 and you get your MBA from a prestigious university with lots of assistance from the staff. The registrar/enroller was very good as she helped me firm up the reasons for getting a degree and being committed to doing it. She was not happy that I did not have my life organized for starting right away, but instead in the New Year. But she was very helpful, and was willing to look for ways around the problem I have on finance. I do not have any financial resources at all and would need a grant. The probability of getting a grant from the government is rather remote as I am not a citizen of the USA but a permanent resident. So I will have to find the funds myself. Thus I am not likely to attend CTU.

Incidentally there is a $50 fee for the application. I thought it was a scam, but it appears not as the other 3 on-line universities are also asking for such a fee!

Phoenix University is also a candidate. But again, the MBA will cost about $30,000 but the name is a good one.

AIU also put in a bid and they are about $20,000 which is easier to look at but still out of my range.There is a very real advantage with this university as it has branches in London and Dubai and thus is an international entity which makes for for more reputation and is well accredited

WGU looks quite likely. The cost is $2,700 per half year. Now the duration of the training could be 18 months which is $8,100 which is really quite a better proposition. the name is not at all famous, but the knowledge is the same as the University is accredited. this means that the curriculum is approved by the Dept of Education and follows the guidelines of what is needed for such a degree.

So, let's say I want to have a very prestigious degree. then ideally I would go to Harvard. But I can not do that so CTU would be a top choice in my view just ahead of Phoenix. but I can not come up with the bucks. So it looks like WGU will get my business after I pony up the funds! I will apply for a scholarship of course as that would put off the financial pain.

Now, by no means consider this to be a final say on the matter! I have yet to have my interview with the registrar for Phoenix University which will be face to face. And there is more I need to read on AIU and WGU and make comparisons amongst the MBA curriculums. So I'm afraid you might have to return to this blog to see what I come up with.

bottom line is that I get the data. With that knowledge I can have the tools to take the reins in some company (probably in a senior, but not ultimate position) and prove my worth. As to the point of the money, try as I could, I could not work out $30,000 for going to CTU. My cards are stretched to as far as I can go with the income I am now getting. I reckon I could stretch to $3,000 more which puts me in the realm of WGU.

There are non-personal reasons to run a company and I will go more into that next time I am on this Blog. Money is not everything, which is something you can say only when you have enough of it!

Thanks for your interest

Stephan
Custom Search
Add to Technorati Favorites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home