Thursday, September 07, 2006

This week I have been out and about in search of a job. I wrote a resume and it was 4 pages long! The reference book I had said 3 pages max! Oh boy! So I cut it back to 2 1/2. A friend of mine looked at it and said it was too low key! Well now that could well be true as we do not really go out of our way to say how good we are in New Zealand. "But this is America!!!!" he said. And so it is! So back to the resume file again!

Now, he looked over the resume and said that it would have gotten me a clerical job, but from what he knows of me, I could get an Executive position. Imagine that. Going from a $25,000 job to a $100,000 just by highlighting a bit which had been placed at the end of the resume.

Now doesn't that tell you a bit about how you market yourself affecting how you get recompensed?

Money is attracted to those who fit the part in the estimation of the employer. So your resume is more an ad of how you can yourself meet the needs of the employer.

I just mentioned I could do spreadsheets and I got offered a $10 an hour job. Not a lot, but when you have bills to pay and nothing coming in, definitely something to jump at! So start off with this, lts see what happens when I mention I have been trained as an executive!

Cheers for today

Stephan
Custom Search
Add to Technorati Favorites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home